Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Jan 4, 2012: Background continues...

I sent an email to the address: info@1947partitionarchive.org and expressed my interest in helping with the project. In a few days, someone named Dr. Guneeta Singh Bhalla replied to my email and said that they would be happy to include me in their team.

I met Guneeta at a workshop where I met several other volunteers. I went through a workshop and several interviews as a trainee before I could conduct interviews on my own. For last 6 months I have been interviewing the 1947 generation in USA, primarily in the San Francisco Bay Area. I have met many elders and listened to their stories of partition. Each story is different than the other and every time I listen to someone, I feel closer to this historic evenet.

Farhana Afroz Interviws Mrs. Afzal Qureshy in San Jose, CA

I was born in a free country. I have never seen a war, a famine or even a natural disaster. I do not know the pain of losing one's home or how it feels to be uprooted from one's motherland. But I can certainly see the wounds that the 1947 survivors carry in their hearts to this date.

No comments:

Post a Comment