Thursday, January 12, 2012

Day 1 in Dhaka

Jan 12, 2010

Reached Dhaka at 8.20 PM. First shock, the airport I knew to be Zia International Airport all my life is called Hazrat Shahjala International Airport! Immigration had huge lines. I came to know that the 3 day long Bishwa Ijtema is starting in a few days. Hence, muslims from all over the world are arrving to join the gatherthing. It is reported that 5 million muslims all over the world attened the 2010 Bishwa Ijtema (Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bishwa_Ijtema)

Shock no. 2, I looked and looked everywhere but could not find my old suitcase. There was one just like mine, old, black samsonite sitting lonely by itself but it was not mine. It looked very much like mine. It even had a Emirates luggage tag and a pink fabric tied to it. I had a suspicion that that owner of this luggage took my suitcase. The airport authorities and my family laughed at me saying that is not possible. No one can be that careless. Neither the airport authority, nor the passernger himself.

I came home worried as it was the suitcase that had all my clothes. My family is Dhaka was over whelmingly helpful. My aunt started looking through her cubbard to find me something to wear. Someone volunteered to take me to the mall as soon as they open in the morning. My uncle assured me that his wife's clothes will fit me and he will send a few sets for me.

In the middle of all these, the airline company calls to inform me that indeed, someone is at their office with my suitcase who took it by mistake. I knew it!! So, I headed for the airport again at 12.36 AM. Got my suticase, came home happy. I was happier that I did not put any of the 1947 Project material into my checked in baggage.

For a first day, it was pretty eventful.

2 comments:

  1. An eventful welcome to Dhaka :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, so happy about your suitcase! I'm adding you to my RSS feed and look forward to reading more of your posts. wishing you happy and safe travels :)

    ReplyDelete