Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Jan 3, 2012: Background

Last summer I was at a grocery store called Bangla Bazar in Sunnyvale, California. As I was walking out of the store a flyer caught my eye. It said:
The 1947 Parititon Archive
Share your story
Get Involved
http://www.1947partitionarchive.org/
I came home and searched for the URL. It lead me to a site that talked about an organization which is serching for the 1947 India-Pakistan Partition Survivors and recording their story. The first thought that came to my mind was: What took them so long??

1947 Partition is something that is very close to my heart. It changed the geography, demography and the socio-economic structure of the Indian sub-continent forever. 15 million people were displaced. Worse, 2 million lost their lives. It has been 64 years and no one has taken the initiaive to collect the story of the survivors. It is already late, but not too late. These stories have to be archived before they are lost forver.

No comments:

Post a Comment