Sunday, February 5, 2012

Day 14 in Dhaka

Feb 5, 2012

My days in Bangladesh are coming to an end. I am scheduled to fly back on the 9th of Feb. This might be my last blog as I intend to spend some time with my family and ofcourse, shopping :)


Last week, I visited the Haridasi Woman and Child Care and Nutrition Centre in Gokorno, Comilla. It is an NGO that works for the poor villagers of Gokorno. The founder, Dr. Marufi Khan and her team of volunteers (that included a doctor, an accountnant a teacher) and I headed for Comilla one fine morning. We reached there by noon. The little ones arrived by 1 PM for their meal. I had the opprtunity to serve food for the little ones. I will remember this day for a long time.



Haridasi Woman and Child Care and Nutrition Centre started 12 years ago and works to improve the health of the young children and pregnant mothers of the area. It serves free milk and meal twice a week to the children and pregnant and nursing mothers. It also has a clinic that has doctors and a pathology lab that treats the villagers with a nominal fee.

Dr. Shirin Jahan volunteers for the Haridasi Centre on weekends
The team of volunteers from Dhaka with Dr. Marufi Khan at the Haridasi Centre, Gokorno, Comilla


No comments:

Post a Comment